St. Mary’s is a fine example of early Norman architecture, with high-level chancel windows, narrow doors, and dog-tooth decoration to the exterior. The original building dates from 1082 and is set high in the landscape with outstanding views to Worcester and the Malvern Hills. It was described by Thomas Habington as ‘Thys churche – mounted alofte on a hyll, seemeth a lanterne of the shyre’. Inside is an original Norman font, 19th century box pews, and the top of an earlier 3-decker pulpit. There are a number of plaques to the Vernon family including one to Mary Elizabeth with a verse attributed to Wordsworth. In the porch is a holy water stoop, and the mark of St. Wulstan. Outside there are a number of scratch sundials on the south wall. The base of the old stepped preaching cross is topped with a sundial by the renowned Samuel Thorpe of Abberley, dated 1810.
Open during daylight hours.
Return to the B 4196 and turn left onto the A 4133. Shortly after the farm shop, turn right as signposted towards Trail church no. 7 - Holt. This feels as though you a’re driving up someone’s drive, but it is correct.
At the end of April and the beginning of May the nearby bluebell woods are a spectacular sight.